Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In article , Alan
scribeth thus
In message , Rod Speed
wrote

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
. ..
[Default] On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 01:12:21 -0700 (PDT), a certain
chimpanzee, NT , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

Ta-da!

http://www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/fire_saf...e_safety_domes
tic_sprinklers.htm

Doesn't demonstrate that it would be cost effective to mandate.

Last thing I need, I prefer to ensure that there isnt anything
likely to produce a fire that a sprinkler is going to help with instead.

And they ignore the problem with water on fat fires which just
happen to be one of the main problems with domestic fires that
are a real threat to life.

Isn't it the smoke that kills in the majority of cases? Would a
sprinkler operate before levels of toxic fumes get to great?

Yes, any competent fireman will tell you that..

I rather expect that if the UK had compulsory fire detection and alert
systems that would have a much better cost benefit overall...

--
Tony Sayer