Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Portable Appliance Testing?

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
And please do not forget any trailing sockets and adaptors. also it
will
save you if you make sure no mains plugs are of the non shrouded pin types
first as these just get cut off as illegal it seems.
The two way adaptor we used for over ten years suddenly became illegal this
yeear and now we have a trailing socket with wires for people to break their
necks over instead!

Unshrouded pins are not illegal, and not directly a cause for PAT
failure. They would indicate a plug which is 40 or more years old,
and that might well have other things wrong with it, just from wear
and tear.

The one case where they are illegal is on any appliance being sold
(even in a car boot sale), so if the PAT test was specifically for
verifying something was safe to sell, then that would cause a failure.

Of course, an organisation arranging PAT testing for itself can lay
down any additional rules they want, including a ban on unshrouded
pins.

--
Andrew Gabriel