Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Portable Appliance Testing?

And please do not forget any trailing sockets and adaptors. also it
will
save you if you make sure no mains plugs are of the non shrouded pin types
first as these just get cut off as illegal it seems.
The two way adaptor we used for over ten years suddenly became illegal this
yeear and now we have a trailing socket with wires for people to break their
necks over instead!

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Michael
Kilpatrick scribeth thus
I'm sure several people on cam.misc know lots about this sort of
mallarchy, and perhaps could be kind enough to comment:

Someone wants "PAT certificates for plug-ins" for my jazz orchestra to
perform at a wedding in September in a venue in the City of London. Oh,
and liability insurance for £10m!

So, how many stupid hoops do I have to jump through to provide
"certificates" for my equipment, given that there appear to be no actual
*rules* that prescribe how often (and to what extent) something should
be tested?

My equipment comprises:

1 x second-hand Soundcraft mixer desk (external power supply unit)
1 x keyboard amplifier (second hand)
1 x powered stage wedge monitor (new)
2 x powered PA speakers on stands (old, belonging to my trombonist)
2 x microphones and flexes
17 x 15W 240VAC music stand lights manufactured by myself, daisy-chained
in groups using IEC 'kettle lead' connectors.

And just to confuse things further:

An electric piano belonging to the pianist
A double bass amplifier belonging to the bassist

Damn all this litigious, bureaucratic bull****. I'm not an employer,
we're just a collection of people making music five times a year.

Michael

I can give you far worse examples of H&S gone mad..

I 'd expect the 10 mill insurance to be your biggest problem, why ever
are they insisting on that amount?..

They expecting you to blow so hard you'll literally bring the house
down;?..

I'd expect a phone round of a few electrical firms on Monday would see
this being done for a reasonable price but if you want a more definitive
answer uk.d-i-y is the best place to post...

--
Tony Sayer