Posted to uk.d-i-y
H. Neary H. Neary is offline

Default Apprentice bollockings for this week

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:55:23 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 07:09:41 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 22:32:05 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:45:29 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

1. Not doing the weekly vehicle checks [1] properly and
letting vans go out with bald tyres.

2. Putting 6.30am down on his time sheets instead of 8.00am
- Apprentices do not get paid travel time. Although to be
fair one of the electricians told him to put 6.30 on his
sheets just to see him get into trouble when he asked what
time to put on the sheets. (same apprentice also got a
bollocking for doing the same a few months ago)

3. Using "text speak" on his job report forms. I heard the
words "I do not want to read **** like that" shouted as he
handed them in.

[1] All vehicle checks have a signed and dated form so we
know who checks which van each week.
I would suspect that any company not willing to pay it's
employees for their work, wouldn't be too keen on them
"wasting time" on vehicle checks. Have they been trained in
the process BTW?

Yes. And most of them have their own cars.

Perhaps the person accepting the reports could be trained in
the use of English and anger management?

I do not shout at personnel, I do not resort to filth when
communicating and I always explain carefully if I think a
higher level of input to a task is needed.

Well I can ignore that ****ing waste of space advice.

You shouldn't. Foul language and shouting betrays a lack of
education and an inability to communicate.

So how do you give out a bollocking then?

I dont.

Everyone is expected to know what is required of them and perform
accordingly.

Does this include apprentices?

We don't have them. Someone straight from full time education would
probably be allocated a position in "spreadsheet land" before they
went to site.

I never see youngsters on site. The last time I saw what I assumed
were apprentices, they were pulling cables through at a water
treatment works ten years back. They worked for a well known firm of
Welsh Electrical contractors. I remember them because of the stupid
infighting they had with each other, and even watched a pair being
seperated by their colleagues.

I don't think the company still employs such people. Behaviour like
that is not on, indeed on a recent FAT, I saw no one under 25 on their
premises [Apart from the somewhat scenic receptionist of course].

HN