Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] larrymoencurly@my-deja.com is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:29:06 AM UTC-7, mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there would have a remedy to apply to my
LG
(GH22NP20) dvd burner. It's been working fine since I got it about 3
years ago,
Until yesterday, when I added a Lite-on DH-20A4P.

After burning a couple dvds with Lite-on burner, I tried reading them
with the LG burner, which worked fine at first, but on the 3rd one I
tried the LG wouldn't play it, though the Lite-on one still worked.

Then I tried to burn one with the LG burner and it made a coaster(you
can see on the disc where it stopped burning about a third of the way
through.

the 'puter's an older P4 system with Ex-Pee on it - anyone got any
ideas?

ASPI layer driver trouble?

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Are both optical drives on the same cable, and if so, are both set for CS (Cable Select)? What if you reverse the positions of the two drives?

I might try uninstalling both drives in the Device Manager and uninstall any third party UDMA driver software. Back in the Windows 98 days, when VIA was coming out with a new driver package every few weeks, one version of their UDMA driver would make file copying really slow, and I mean slower than floppy I/O, if both disk drives were on the same cable.