Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Miller[_5_] John Miller[_5_] is offline

Default OT Windows 7 and Email Client

On 01/06/2012 22:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/06/2012 12:13, DavidM wrote:
This is a bit OT but I know that there are people here with experience
of PCs and usually very helpful.

My old XP PC is starting to play up and I'm planning on replacing it
in the next few weeks. Currently looking at machines from the
Chillblast range as they seem to get consistently good reports. A
couple of areas where I'd appreciate and views and/or recommendations:

Version of W7.
Most of the systems I'm looking at come with Windows Home Premium, but
with a cost option to have Windows Professional. Win Prof has XP
compatibility, which I might/will need for some older programs I use
which aren't (and may never be) compatible with W7. There doesn't seem
to be any other advantage to me for Win Prof, but someone may think
differently?

Pro gets you the legit license for the virtual machine... that's the
main gain from a home users perspective.

Mail client.
I currently use Outlook Express, which isn't available on W7, so I
need an alternative. Outlook is a possible alternative but has many
features I'll never use (and will cost). Windows Live mail may do the

It also does not do news.

job but I played with early versions and wasn't impressed with it's
reliability - it may be ok now.

Mandatory requirements a support POP/SMTP and IMAP from multiple
email providers; allow two or more email accounts for different users
of PC with privacy; allow downloaded email to be left on the providers
server (where supported eg Hotmail), allow at least basic filtering to
direct incoming mail to different folder, support dlists or address
groups.

Thunderbird will do all that.

Desire able: allow import of old emails from OE (the wife and I have
quite a lot of emails that we need to retain and have access to; allow
import of addresses from OE address book.

and that

Windows Live Mail handled Newsgroups OK when I used it with W7, but I
eventually binned it and went to Thunderbird because WLM twice deleted
some of itself when applying updates. What made it worse was that it
obviously left some corrupted files as I couldn't delete it or reinstall
it and ended up having to reload the system (from a backup, thankfully!)
Thunderbird has improved immensely from when I last tried it some years
ago and will do everything the OP wants.

John M