Posted to uk.d-i-y
H. Neary H. Neary is offline

Default Apprentice bollockings for this week

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 22:32:05 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:45:29 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

1. Not doing the weekly vehicle checks [1] properly and letting
vans go out with bald tyres.

2. Putting 6.30am down on his time sheets instead of 8.00am -
Apprentices do not get paid travel time. Although to be fair one of
the electricians told him to put 6.30 on his sheets just to see him
get into trouble when he asked what time to put on the sheets.
(same apprentice also got a bollocking for doing the same a few
months ago)

3. Using "text speak" on his job report forms. I heard the words "I
do not want to read **** like that" shouted as he handed them in.

[1] All vehicle checks have a signed and dated form so we know who
checks which van each week.

I would suspect that any company not willing to pay it's employees for
their work, wouldn't be too keen on them "wasting time" on vehicle
checks. Have they been trained in the process BTW?

Yes. And most of them have their own cars.

Perhaps the person accepting the reports could be trained in the use
of English and anger management?

I do not shout at personnel, I do not resort to filth when
communicating and I always explain carefully if I think a higher level
of input to a task is needed.

Well I can ignore that ****ing waste of space advice.

You shouldn't. Foul language and shouting betrays a lack of education
and an inability to communicate.

Mind you, my company does pay for hours worked [unless salaried], and
we have a genuine "no blame" culture that seems to motivate the
workforce in a very positive way.

You would survive about 5 seconds on a building site.

My work is often on civils sites. I do quite well actually. We would
not go out of our way to advertise such errors as the odd missing
cable number, but anything affecting health and saftey or the overall
quality of the job is snagged and corrected.

My only problem on site is trying to relate to thick ******* that rely
on their own weird interpretation of HSE guidance to impose pointless
trivial dictats on contractors.

HN