Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default any way to calibrate digital thermometer?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 11:36:59 -0400, the renowned "Johnny Appleseed"
wrote:

I have a digital thermometer like the one he

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acurite-Wi...meter/16888921

The temperature the outdoor sensor reads is at least 3 degrees off from what
it should be. Is there any way to adjust the temperature reading in these
units? The instructions don't say anything about this issue.

Thanks,
John

These type of things use a "precision" thermistor that is supposed to
be good to a degree or so against an internal fixed reference
resistor. There is no individual calibration. You could try to trim
the reference resistor, but personally I'd f'dget about it. 3 degrees
(F?) could be the difference between being in the sun and not, for
example.

What do you expect for $10?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I got two different devices with fairly constant 3 degree difference. My
one with wind gauge, I don't believe. I think it reads half. I'm going to
take it for a ride some day.
One transmitter failed after a few years. Bought replacement. I have other
cheap units go bad, but my current models are half decent.

Greg