Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

nvic wrote:
On May 31, 1:38*pm, mike wrote:
On May 31, 12:00*pm, nvic wrote:

I still have the LS50 in my main PC...It makes coasters, and only
reads CDs. It won't read DVDs, and will usually freeze the PC if one
is inserted. The PC then hangs while posting if rebooted, unless I
remove the DVD first. LightScribe doesn't work (freezes PC when I try
to burn the label).

When they failed, I tried reinstalling in device manager. Didn't help..
I moved them to another PC...same results. I tried a firmware update
on two of them. It succeeded both times, but didn't fix anything.

Just curious, do the LG drives have CD abilities still?

Two of the three do. They only read CDs though, and won't burn
anything. The third refused to even read CDs, so I binned it a while
back.

I've got a couple former dvd burners that still work ok for reading
and buning CDs only - pretty much behave just like cd burner, they
were from either the scrapyard or the recyclers.

This is kind of strange, after lots of installing and reinstalling the
drive i originally posted about, though it still doesn't show as
having anything in it in windows Explorer when a dvd-r is inserted,
(it's reported as *dvd-ram drive* until disc is inserted, and then
shows as *cd-drive - no disc present*) it does still burn dvd-r's,
which it can't, afterwards, recognize - done 2 so far that play fine
on 2 other machines and the dvd player, so guess I'll see how well I
can get by with that for a while.

Thanks to all for all the good hints and tips, I'm still thinking
about trying to do a firmware update have to get read up on that
some 1st.