Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On 5/31/2012 5:29 AM, mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there would have a remedy to apply to my
LG
(GH22NP20) dvd burner. It's been working fine since I got it about 3
years ago,
Until yesterday, when I added a Lite-on DH-20A4P.

After burning a couple dvds with Lite-on burner, I tried reading them
with the LG burner, which worked fine at first, but on the 3rd one I
tried the LG wouldn't play it, though the Lite-on one still worked.

Then I tried to burn one with the LG burner and it made a coaster(you
can see on the disc where it stopped burning about a third of the way
through.

Using 'StartSmart' by Nero, the 'InfoTool' app still shows the LG as a
DVD-RAM drive, but the drive no longer will read DVDs, but will read
CDs still.

I have the original disc that came with the LG but apparently no
drivers on it. I tried deleting and re-detecting the drives in device
manager, to no avail...the Lite-on still works just fine, I
disconnected it to see if doing so I'd be able get the LG one going
again, but no luck so far.

the 'puter's an older P4 system with Ex-Pee on it - anyone got any
ideas?

TIA,
Mike

Did you take apart the drive and clean the lens? Sometimes stuff gets
stuck under the lens and blocks one led but not the other. I once found
a string of spider web across a lens that blocked one led but not the other.
Cleaner disc wouldn't dislodge it, but alcohol swab did.

Are you sure your discs are good? I've had new discs that developed an
invisible layer of stuff. Something about outgassing of plastic and the
paint on the other side. Wouldn't burn in SOME drives unless I cleaned
them with windex first.

If you lose the lubrication on the laser carriage slide, you can get some
weird symptoms. Taking the system apart and disturbing the dust
can push it over the edge. As can twisting it slightly by
torquing in another drive next to it.

You've eliminated the obvious stuff. I'd clean/lubricate the drive
then go back to the EXACT mechanical
and electrical conditions that worked.

Sometimes, stuff just breaks and it's coincidence.