Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

On 5/31/2012 11:23 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 23:48:04 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 5/30/2012 8:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 16:13:49 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

But unlike all those other things, there is no DEMAND for a NG vehicle
fuel delivery system. If the demand existed, someone would already be
supplying it.
You have said absolutely nothing to challenge my statement that NG is
not a REALISTIC alternative to gasoline-powered private vehicles.

Today? Not so much. Five years? Very possible.

The question is what IS a reasonable alternative to gasoline, not what
the future might hold in store. Eventually, science and technology will
make hydrogen-powered engines realistic.

Possibly - but personally I doubt it. IF hydrogen ever becomes a
viable fuel it will be in fuel cells, not infernal combustion engines.

I didn't say hydrogen would be burned in an internal combustion engine.
I think its a matter of when, not if. Maybe it will be fuel cells,
maybe it will be a turbine engine. Shoot, maybe it'll be a hydrogen
fueled steam engine. No telling how far away "when" is. It could be
five years down the road, or a hundred years away.

Eventually, science and
technology will make economical and efficient solar cells that will
power vehicles electrically (with efficient battery backup for when the
sun isn't shining).

Perhaps hybrid battery/ultracap combinations.

Those will be better alternatives than any fossil
fuel. But in the here and now, hydrogen and solar panels are not
realistic alternatives to gasoline. In the here and now, neither is
natural gas.

Correct