Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On May 31, 12:00*pm, nvic wrote:

There SHOULD be no relationship, but experience with LITE-ON and LG
drives leads me to think otherwise. I've killed 3 LG burners, and all
failed within a week of me attaching a LITE-ON burner for use as a
second drive. Either I've had bad luck with the LG drives, or LITE-ON
stuff kills LG stuff.

Interesting - it sure looks like either they interacted or I s'pose
possibbly there was some kind of code inside the LG one to cause it to
partially disable itself, either accidentally or on purpose, grrrr...

The LGs were models GH22NS50 and GH22LS50. They're almost identical
(the NS50 is an LS50 without LightScribe). All were purchased in 2009,
but were none were bought together.

I still have the LS50 in my main PC...It makes coasters, and only
reads CDs. It won't read DVDs, and will usually freeze the PC if one
is inserted. The PC then hangs while posting if rebooted, unless I
remove the DVD first. LightScribe doesn't work (freezes PC when I try
to burn the label).

Now that you mention it, I did have the drive refuse to install a
couple times

When they failed, I tried reinstalling in device manager. Didn't help.
I moved them to another PC...same results. I tried a firmware update
on two of them. It succeeded both times, but didn't fix anything.

Just curious, do the LG drives have CD abilities still?

As for LITE-ON stuff, it's cheap, but it works. The LITE-ON burner
that seemingly killed the LGs is 5 years old and still works great
(it's my main drive now...) I also have a CD-RW drive from them that's
9.5 years old and has seen its fair share (hundreds) of burning
jobs...it still works as well.

This is the 1st Lite-On I that I've had, seems to burn good; says
2007 on it.

Thanks for the info,