Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On May 31, 11:48*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Two issues, jumpers and cables. *My guess(tm) is that you have both
drives jumpered identically for master or slave. *That won't work. One
has to be master, and the other slave (or both on drive select).

Oops, forgot to mention, 80 conductor and suing jumpers set to CS - I
don't think I have any more 'puters that need any master/slave
settings.

I do not like to run two drives on the same IDE controller or same
ribbon cable. *It really slows down copying DVD's, but is adequate for
any other purpose. *With both drives on one cable, one drive acts as a
master, while the other acts as a slave. *There are combinations of
drive manufacturers that just don't seem to get along. *You may have
one of those.

It's good to review these things I've forgotten, but I don't think
that I've ever really done any optical drive to optical drive
recording; up until yesterday I'd been keeping a dvd burner and a cd
burner so the other burner can have a rest when I need to burn a CD -
but, picked up a secondhand dvd burner so's I'd have a spare, and
that's what I get for being prepared ...

I've had good luck with LG burners in general. *Not so
good luck with Lite-On. *Try putting the drive that does the most
burning and gets the most use by itself on the secondary IDE
controller, and the other drive as a slave to the hard disk drive on
the primary.

I Think that's what I'll do from now on. The LG burner has been best
drive I've seen as far as being able to read a dirty or scratched up
disk like they sometimes are from the local library

(snip some good stuff)

There's some question as to whether to use 40 or 80 wire ribbon cable.
Some of the faster 16x and 24x DVD drives are fast enough that an 80
wire ribbon cable is required to get full speed. *16x is 22Mbits/sec.
40 wire yields 33Mbits/sec, while 80 wire is needed for UDMA 4 at
66Mbits/sec. * 80 wire isn't really needed, but it does help and is
generally recommended.

I like the 80 wire ones, and try to keep myself supplied with plenty
from the local scrap yard or recyclers. Thanks for the specs on the
different speeds, can't seem to remember much of that kind of thing
any more.
Also, check for firmware updates.
http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/GH22NP20/files.html *(Don't install EW
if in the US).
http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/DH-20A4P/files.html

Ah, excellent! I'll chek both of those out.

Thanks,
Mike