Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default DVD burner screwed by 2nd burner added to system

On May 31, 8:43*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
"When you have eliminated the impossible..."

I would repeat the removal/reinstallation, but reinstall only the LG, just
to be certain there isn't some weird interaction between them (which I
doubt).

No luck with that so far after several iterations - I think this is
how cables get worn out more than any other reason. (forgot to
mention, 80 conductor cables, and I always pretty much use the jumpers
set on CS these days)

I found a couple more odditys; when I try to hook it up alone on
secondary channel as slave the POST screen stalls with a message that
the drive is non-ATAPI compatible, and nothing else happens till I
take the drive back out. When I put it by itself on secondary as
master It's redetected ok as a dvd-ram etc, as normal, but still
doesn't play any of my dvd-r's - but it will still read a dvd-r of
music files that I have,
and will also play any store-bought dvd that i have. Also, using
Nero's Infotool, It will identify a home recorded dvd-r as such, so
I'm beginning to suspect some modification was made to my player - I
guess I'll try it in another machine but don't hold out much hope for
being able to use dvd-rs on it any more.

Some years back my computer's CD-ROM drive started acting crazy and
returning error messages. The firmware had apparently failed -- but not
enough to keep the drive from working altogether. Replacing the drive fixed
the problem.

Trying to avoid that, but it probably would 'fix' the problem.

Thanks,
Mike