Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring question - how thin

Nova wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 19:57:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

(snipped)

They went to a local mill and got prices, which really are not bad.
My son came up with the idea of asking the mill to simply run the
lumber through the band saw again, taking it from 1x8 to 1/2x8. His
thought is that he can end up with more lumber for less money, and
enough savings to buy a planer to touch them up with - or a double
belt sander.

The lumber supplier I deal with sells "thin stock". Due to the labor
cost to mill the thin boards, along with the loss due to relieving the
stress in the thicker stock the thin stock is much more expensive (the
thinner the high the cost per bd/ft). An example, the current price
on 4/4 red oak is $3.30 bd/ft. 2/4 red oak is $6.50 bd/ft. I think
he would end up spending more.

That'd very interesting. Good input - thanks. I have not talked to my son
since the weekend, but I suspect that if he has talked to the sawyer, he's
probably already heard that his ideas aren't going to work.

--

-Mike-