Default Wood for Childrens Blocks

Boys/Girls club in town?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:19:27 -0800, Tim Rohrer
wrote:

I was so intrigued by this conversation. I especially liked the person who
said they make blocks and a senior center paints them to give to needy
children. Anyone else involved in something like this? In particular, I
would love to come up with something to do with all my scraps that are too
small to save.

Thoughts?

Wr, Tim

On 4/4/04 08:50, in article , "Bob
McConnell" wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:54:30 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 08:40:49 -0600, Wyatt Wright
wrote:

What kind of wood would be good for children's construction blocks -
Cubes, triangles, etc.

I was thinking ash or maple. I might make some by laminating two
woods with contrasing colors.

I will probably leave them unfinished, but is there an acceptable
finish for something that might end up in a toddler's mouth?

Thanks all.

Ash, maple, oak, cherry are all good woods for children's blocks.
Walnut is a good contrasting wood. Most finishes are non-toxic. I'd
pick a finish that allows for easy cleaning. Shellac is completely
safe.

Depending on availability, you could add poplar and birch to that
list. They are used in the better wooden train sets.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP