Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On 31/05/2012 08:59, Jonathan wrote:
On May 31, 12:37 am, Grimly wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 23:52:36 +0100, John Rumm

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

**** the moaning *******s. This is good thing.
I'm fitting sprinklers in my gaff and it's not so much to save my
life, although that's important enough; it's so that I don't have to
stand at the side of the road watching my house burn to the ground
while the local volunteer fire brigade get their act together.
I don't mind clearing up some water damage - who gives a ****e about
that if the majority of the house is intact.

Our smoke detectors are very sensitive. Would sprinklers be triggered
by the same mechanism, resulting in a wet house whenever the toast is
burnt!

Smoke detectors detect smoke. Sprinklers detect a high temperature at
ceiling level, using a fusible link or a liquid in a glass bulb that
boils at anything from 57C to 260C, depending upon the liquid used, and
thus breaks the glass. Most commonly seen are the red liquid glass
bulbs, which break at 68C.

Colin Bignell