Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring question - how thin

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 17:28:55 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

What my son is thinking about is what I might describe as half
planed - or what I believe they call skip planed. Run through the
planer or through a double drum sander, but not to the point of
being nicely smoothed.

Sounds horrid to live with. He may think it looks nice, but keeping
them clean will be a bitch unless sealed well to take out the
recesses. It is nor really a period thing either. We have plenty of
200+ houses around here with original floors and they are pretty
smooth.

He is planning to seal it well with poly. A lot of poly. I thought I had
said that earlier, but maybe I didn't...

You may find rough flooring in some of the peasant cabins and such,
but the better larger houses are much more refined. My son's house is
up the street from Jonathan Trumbull's war office from the Revolution.
Some of the original flooring is equal to that done today.

Not contesting that there was some nice finish work back then, but there was
also a lot (and perhaps a lot more) lesser finish work back then. My son's
idea may not suit many people, but it is (if nothing else) refelctive of
what did exist 200 years ago.

--

-Mike-