Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring question - how thin

CW wrote:

So, the house that the floor is to be installed in was built in the
1700s ?

Nope. It's about 200 years old and has been almost totally
remodeled/rebuilt. But - the original "rebuilders" did a good job of trying
to maintain the character of the original house. It sits on exactly the
same footprint, and that kind of thing.

It is probably noteworthy that while the experiences of folks in VA
represent very valid experiences, up here was a lot different 200 years ago.
This was a farming area, not blessed with the wealth of VA, 200 years ago.
So - while Lynchburg might have been doing some things with their
architecure back then, not all of those same things were being done by the
"simple folks" around here at that same time. We do have the other end of
the spectrum - the real wealth, as this area has been settled since Hendrick
Hudson sailed up the Hudson River. But - most farm houses don't fall into
that category, and they employed different techniques than the upscale
(sorry Dave...) stuff which didn't make it into their homes.

What my son is after is not a period restoration. He's looking to do
something that he likes, and that fits (in terms of character) with the
house/farm as a whole.

--

-Mike-