Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bending 1/8 inch thick 7075-T6 aluminum

On 2012-05-30, MrFightGuy wrote:
Found this chart about minimum bend radius for various kinds of
aluminum. It includes 7075-T6, and includes specs for the approximate
thickness (.128 inch, or 8 gauge)

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/pdf...end_radius.pdf

Can anyone interpret this?

The first table says that for 0.128" thick "t" 7075-T6 aluminum,
your minimum bend radius is between 5 and 7 times the thickness (so your
minimum bend radius will be somewhere between 5/8" and 7/8". And if it
is "clad sheet", it will accept slightly smaller radii.

I wonder whether this is one of the alloys which has a "grain".
bend it parallel to the fine lines found in it (on too small a radius)
and it will start to crack along those lines, bend it at right angles to
the grain, and you can get away with a tighter radius.

Experiment with scraps to see what I mean.

The rest of the pages probably don't matter to you for this
task.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564