Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

jgharston wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I choose not to insure my house. Essentially because
I designed it so that no fire will ever burn it down
and I know it cant be washed away in a flood etc.

Have you also designed it so that hurricanes never occur,

We don't get hurricanes here. We don't get cyclones here either.

Yes, I designed the roof so it wont blow off and since I built
the house myself, doing almost all the work myself, it would be
a hell of a lot cheaper to just do the roof again than even a single
year's insurance.

that heavy rain never occurs,

Heavy rain does occur sometimes, but the house is designed so
that that does not result in an insurance claim and its been proven
over 40 years now that it was designed to handle heavy rain fine.

that scotes never chuck bricks through
your window or smash you door in.

It's a lot cheaper to just replace the window if that happens.

There's a reson for the trope "if you can't afford to insure X, you can't
afford X".

Its just another silly line. I only insured the new car because I
happened to find an operation that would insure it for just $100
and when its now been hiked to 3 times that, don't bother with
that insurance anymore either.

That's a separate matter to the compulsory injury insurance
which doesn't cover injury to me. If I do get injured in a car
accident, our very decent national health care system will
pay for that without me having to pay even a cent unless
I want to buy a newspaper when in hospital and I have to
do that even when I'm not in hospital. The TV in hospital is free.