Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

John Rumm wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

John,

As one who over the years has been involved in repairing several fire
damaged dwellings (two with fatalities) [1], I think that sprinklers in
dwellings are a bloody good idea, and is one of those where the value of
fitting them could well far outweigh the costs in lives saved and reduced
injuries. As for the builders shouting about the costs, they will recoupe
these simply by increasing the cost of their houses from eye-watering to
larcency with the extortionate profits they make on them.

Now if they could legislate for householders to have some training in how a
dwelling fire develops when doors are left open at night, along with the
very high temperatures created, and how to escape from a burning building,
that would be a bonus - but then the shoutsof a "nanny state" would be very
loud!

[1] Some of the sights I've seen have been horrendous, and I have a
great respect for those professionals that fight the things (and a great
awareness instilled in myself and family).

All the best

Cash

Who will now climb down from his high-horse after leaving many of his
thoughts on the subject left unsaid.