Posted to alt.home.repair
T. Keating T. Keating is offline

Default a problem with electric meters?

On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:24:46 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 07:43:39 -0400, T. Keating
wrote:

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:15:02 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:19:45 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Sjouke Burry s@b wrote in
news:XnsA05817B9EF72Bsjoukeburrysoesterbe@213. 75.12.10:

George wrote in :

On 5/15/2012 6:54 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:35:39 -0400,
wrote:

One of my friends sends me an email about a local state rep who is
preseinting to the Md. Public Service Commission a "case" to allow
people to reject smart meters. Nowhere does it say what kind of
meter, and I'm thinking it might means taximeter or galvanometer, but
I guess it means electric meters. Or gas meters?

Is there any reason to reject one?

BTW, the state rep also has a 2-hour show each week on the local
wacko
radio station.

I suppose the electric company would charge you some extra fee because
someone would have to come and read it.

One of the features of smart meters is they are remotely read.

Yes, now a criminal working at a power company can check whether
you are at home, so they can "visit" your home safely......

to answer the original question,"smart meters" are electric meters for
homes that monitor your power usage continuously and keep record of how
much power is used at what times of the day and night,periodically read
remotely by the power company.

So they have a detailed record of YOUR lifestyle,when you do things that
use power. you may not like that data being accumulated and available to
gov't officials.(and maybe private companies too. It's data that is worth
something,thus salable.)

they may also have the capability to remotely CONTROL(shut off) some of
your home's appliances to aid the power company in load managment.

You may not like the power company turning off your AC,water heater,or
washer-dryer at peak demand times.

I'm not sure if these will also turn off electric car chargers.

and you won't KNOW when these items are off....there will not be any
announcement when it occurs.

A smart METER cannot load shed - it cannot selectively control loads.
A "smart center" can. We don't have them yet in Ontario, and I can't
see them coming for quite some time as they will rquire TOTAL RETROFIT
of EVERY service panel to make them work. The electrical utility won't
pay for it - and no provinvial government that mandates the homeowner
pays for it will EVER be re-elected.

The ones being installed by FPL, 4.3 Million residential meters, can
remotely switch the 240v service to 120v, by connecting both legs to
the same 120v input. Thus disabling nearly all 220v appliances in the
household.

They can also remotely turn on and off the service.

Bull****

Go look at the GE 210+ specs and get back to us.

You obviously can't read..

After observing some new smart meter installs. i decided to look up the meter capability
on the internet. But, I found the on-line documentation incomplete. So, I called up GE
and talked to their engineers about the undocument ordering/meter options.

As for documented features ..

http://www.gedigitalenergy.com/produ...210_Family.pdf
Look up the term "service switch"..
Page 4.

"Advanced Functionality

With the addition of the fully rated 200 amp service switch, the meter is capable of
pre-payment metering without all the historical cost associated with card readers or other
legacy pre-payment technology. Load limiting and emergency conservation modes set this
meter apart when working in conjunction with a demand response program. Having the
capability to be remotely configured, as well as being firmware upgradeable, this product
serves todays needs, as well as tomorrows evolving requirements."

==========

Page 8. (I-210+)

"Optional Functions

Factory integrated Service Switch Capability
- Soft Switch Functions
- AMR Communications (AMR Interface formats include quadrature
pulse, PSEM,
SPI Format-1 data, SPI Format-2 Data
- Simple Voltag Event monitoring in addition to RMS momentary
voltage display "

=========

On Page 9 of the PDF under the table titled "Residential Meter Selector"
..
Look at the middle column for "I-210+ Basic Energy",

Go down to Items
10(Service switch) and
11(Remote disconnect).

Both are listed as "Factory installed option for I-210+"..

=========

From my conversations with GE'e engineer, some of the ordering options for the GE-210+
residential meters a

O = AMR,
V2 = Simple Voltage event monitor,
F2 = Demand limit,
J2 = Emergency Load reduction(same leg of 110V connected to both sides, no=220v appliance
operation.)
U2 = Remote disconnect & Prepaid disconnect.

=========

Now go outside and look at GE I-210+ smart meter installed on the side of your house. (if
you have one). Write down the extra options installed, just to the right of "I-210+"
inside a rectangle box outline (Very close to the exact center of the meter face).