Posted to alt.home.repair
T. Keating T. Keating is offline

Default a problem with electric meters?

On Wed, 30 May 2012 07:34:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/30/2012 6:43 AM, T. Keating wrote:

The ones being installed by FPL, 4.3 Million residential meters, can
remotely switch the 240v service to 120v, by connecting both legs to
the same 120v input. Thus disabling nearly all 220v appliances in the
household.

I don't see any indication of that in the GE product data sheet. Can
you provide a link to that; it seems unlikely design feature to me.

I haven't see any online document listing the ordering options with
their letter designations. For that info you must call them up, and
track down the right person.

They can also remotely turn on and off the service.

If FPL is using a capable-meter and installing the 2-way communications
module, then that is a possibility.

Can you confirm which GE model FPL is actually using and which options
they bought?

Ordering options on FPL's GE-210+ residential meters a

O = AMR,
V2 = Simple Voltage event monitor,
F2 = Demand limit,
J2 = Emergency Load reduction(same leg of 110V connected to both
sides, no=220v appliance operation.)
U2 = Remote disconnect & Prepaid disconnect.