Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default any way to calibrate digital thermometer?

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Hacking the thermometer so it gives the correct reading is
going to take a few minutes once the solution is found here,
if there is one.

Which is exactly the point. How much time has been wasted on looking for
that solution -- with no results?

I have a wireless thermometer that's part of an atomic clock. Without even
opening it, I'd be willing to bet that the temperature sensing elements
comprise one resistor in series with one thermistor. You were, perhaps,
expecting multiple resistors and thermistors, with two or three pots to get
everything "just right"?

This "knob" is all-too-aware from many years of experience that virtually
all products are built to meet a price point, and that attempts to improve
or customize them //almost// always result in failure.

To give an example... I once owned the Pioneer RT-2000 system. It had
modular electronics and interchangeable half-track two-channel &
quarter-track four-channel head blocks. It was a clever and useful idea,
poorly executed.

When I started making live recordings, it occurred to me to position my dbx
II noise-reduction units between the Pioneer's external electronics
(containing the mic preamps and mixers) and the transport. To my surprise,
there was no improvement in the S/N ratio.

The 0dB sensitivity of the transport electronics was an unbelievably low
0.1V, way below what is commonly taken as line level. When I measured the
S/N ratio of the external electronics at 0.1V output, it was a miserable
50dB. No wonder noise reduction had no effect.

I was obliged to purchase external mic preamps. Re-engineering Pioneer's
crappy electronics might have been a worthwhile project if I were trying to
improve my skills in circuit design. But I wasn't, so what would be the
point? Life is too short.

Your method is likely to take a full year.
You are a bit of a knob sometimes, William,
no wonder people ignore you.

I BEG YOUR FORGIVENESS for trying to see through to the heart of an issue,
of trying to find simple solutions to "complicated" problems -- or of
recognizing that there really is NO PROBLEM at all.

You would do well to pay attention to this "knob". You might learn something
about problem solving. But, of course, you already know everything, right?