Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Flooring question - how thin

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/29/2012 6:57 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Agree w/ the other poster on the problem if face nail and w/ adhesive
mounting--if don't care about those issues it's workable as far as a
dimension but would seem self-limiting and essentially self-defeating in
the long run for the up front potential savings.

But, I'd guess the mill won't resaw 3/4" stuff even if asked; a sawmill
bandsaw is going to take a pretty good kerf compared to a resaw in a
typical woodworker shop and I doubt seriously if they have any good way to
feed the material already sawn--they slice it off a log at probably 4/4
and then surface to 3/4.

Yup... a resaw bandsaw would be the only way to deal with this on a
production level... While I'm sure it could be done on a bandsaw mill (e.g.,
place the board on top of and clinch to a mounted log that has had slices
removed already) it would be a chore. Doing it by hand on a vertical bandsaw
would be a chore too.

All in all, I'd bite the bullet and go conventional I think...there's a
reason it's been that way lo! these many years.

Yup again... course back in the way old days the finish floor was often the
sub-floor too in many structures so the thickness was needed. Note, that the
boards didn't have to be uniform in thickness as they were often fit to
match the other boards, and variance in the joists, by removing material
from the bottom of the floor boards. In the more recent old days, where a
finish floor was installed over a sub-floor, the thickness was there with
sanding and refinishing in mind. The new laminates are a different animal...

John