Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipe replacement question

On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:43:03 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 5/29/2012 4:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:43:14 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

i've heard of very few, and seen even less places where the meter is
inside.
You haven't travelled much.

been in 45 states. only seen an indoor meter in person once.

You've been to the wrong places. Go to Philadelphia and you can see
tens of thousands of indoor gas and water meters. I lived in a row
house with 50 houses just on my block. That street ran about 12
blocks. One of many.

Or here in CT where I can show you thousands of them.

how the heck did they read them before the advent of the remote dealy ma
bobs?

It used to be pretty normal for "the lady of the house" to be home
during the day. Those meters that could not be accessed for reading
got a notice in the mail, and the home-owner/tennant read the meter
and mailed it in. Just drew the lines on the diagram of the meter to
show where the needle was pointing, in most cases.