Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipe replacement question

On May 29, 12:05*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
Steve Barker writes:
On 5/29/2012 4:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:43:14 -0500, Steve Barker
*wrote:

i've heard of very few, and seen even less places where the meter is
inside.
* * You haven't travelled much.

been in 45 states. *only seen an indoor meter in person once.

You've been to the wrong places. Go to Philadelphia and you can see
tens of thousands of indoor gas and water meters. I lived in a row
house with 50 houses just on my block. *That street ran about 12
blocks. One of many.

Or here in CT where I can show you thousands of them.

how the heck did they read them before the advent of the remote dealy
ma bobs?

Here in central NJ we have inside water meters.

Maybe in your part of central NJ, but not here in
the parts of Monmouth county where I've lived.
Here they are underground, at the curb. I'll bet
you're in an actual town. The areas are more rural
here.

Up until about 15 years ago, I knew the meter reader well.
He'd ring the bell, I'd let him into the basement and he'd
read the meter. *Nice guy.

About 15 years ago they changed the meters and now the meter is
still inside but they have a wire that runs outside with a little
black plastic thing they put their reader up against.

That's kind of how they read the meter at the curb,
except the guy doesn't even need to get out of his
vehicle.

I haven't seen them in a while and I got a notice that they are
going to change these devices so they can read them from the curb.
I don't know if they've done that yet.

But the meter itself is still inside.

--
Dan Espen- Hide quoted text -