Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default VAT payment deadlines & small traders. A warning. (Long)

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 26/05/2012 09:57, A.Lee wrote:

On a similar subject, did you say you were thinking of changing to a
Ltd. Company?

I did it for tax reasons. My accountant set it up for about £60.

I did mine today. I'm now a Company Director! [1]

And, being as this is a DIY group, all done DIY, £18 total cost.

I spoke to an accountant today, she said there is little point in
changing from a Sole Trader to a Ltd. Co. if you are earning less than
£25k/yr, however, if you do the accounts/filing/tax returns yourself,
the break-even level is a lot lower.
Once you have it registered, there is no reason to use it, you can leave
it dormant, or just use it for a certain line of business you have.

There is no reason to finish as a Sole Trader, as you can run both at
the same time, so you can split earnings between the 2 to limit bad debt
exposure, or tax reasons.

[1] well, I will be when they have processed the paperwork.