Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How to replace water pipe

On 5/28/2012 5:12 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Well that is pretty straight forward - type M for above and below
ground. I have a couple of lengths of type M in my basement, maybe
enough to do this job. This leak is costing me $5 a day in water down
the toilet, and I'm highly motivated to stop the leak, even if it
means bypassing all the old pipe.

FIVE dollars a daY!?!?!?. THAT much water should be coming to the
surface. (in a raging torrent)

Depends on soil conditions. About 10 years ago we could hear a strong
water running sound all of the time. After some sleuthing it seemed like
it was outside. We have the usual indoor meter and the service line runs
out to a valve that is buried 3' deep at the curb. They term that
connection the "corporation" for some reason.

I borrowed a key from a friend and turned the valve off and the running
water noise stopped. I called the water company. When they dug out the
area around the valve they found that there was a crack in the tubing on
their side of the valve. The substantial water flow was simply draining
into the ground.