Posted to alt.home.repair

Default counter depth fridges

On Mon, 28 May 2012 13:14:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 28, 3:15*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 07:48:59 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On May 27, 9:37*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:38:23 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On May 27, 7:41*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2012 19:27:08 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:
Do you have one? Likes or dislikes. Brand? Finish? *Would you do it again?

We were going to buy a Electrolux to fit into a tight space but SWMBO finally
decided she didn't want to pay several hundred more for 2/3s the 'fridge. *The
fridge sticking into the traffic pattern isn't the best, but there's normally
only the two of us around (well, so far only one - she hasn't moved yet). *We
ended up with the standard size 'fridge (27ft^3?), identical to the one in
this house.

Bottom line; significantly more money, for less, wasn't a winning combination.

Don't know which ones you compared, but in my
experience they were almost the same in cubic feet,
just a couple cft less.

*Quite* a bit less. *When two dimensions are the same, and the other is 2/3s,
the space inside has to shrink too. *They aren't like Hondas (bigger on the
inside ;-). *The Electrolux models are 28cu. ft. vs 23 (69 1/2" vs. 70" tall).

BS. Go look at the Electrolux website. They have side by side
models that are std depth, 26 cft and counter depth that are
23 cft that are othewise identical.
These are two examples:

BS yourself. The French-door models are 27ft^3 (standard) and 23ft^3 (CD).
14.8% less volume, 14.6% less depth. They are *NOT* taller to make up for it.
EW23CS85KS
EW26SS85KS

Now maybe that's
a big difference to you, but quantitatively it's NOT anywhere close
to your big difference in volume. And I'd say it's not
enough to make a difference to most people. Trade 10% of
the volume for not having the refrigerator sticking out seems
like a fine thing to me. The OP can do what he wants. But
he shouldn't do it based on false data.

It's *exactly* the same as the front-to-back difference. 15% less space, $400
more. No sale.

I have to disagree. *Go look at Kitchenaid side by sides for example.
In the standard type they have units that are 25.4 to 26 cft
In the counter depth, they have units that are 23 to 24.5 cft.

So they cripple the standard unit so the cabinet depth one is the same.

More total nonsense. Electrolux, which YOU brought up,
has standard units that are 26 cft. Kitchenaid is 25.4 to 26.
Basicly identical, ie no crippling.

Wrong. See above.

The two dimensions are NOT the same. *The counter depth fridges
are TALLER.

Cite. *I showed you where this was *not* the case with Electrolux. *They are
the same (1/2" difference, which is within the range of the leveling legs).

You think just because it's the case with Electrolux, that all
refrigerators are the same? And that was never the point to
beging with, was it? The issue was whether you gave up a
lot of capacity in going to a counterdepth. The answer, which
you refuse to accept is, NO. You only lose a couple cft,
about 10%.

Same? Pretty much. They have to fit in the same hole in kitchens. Make them
too tall and they're not going to sell. A half an inch can mean tens of
thousands of lost sales. Not smart.

They make up for the depth by being taller. *I guess you could argue that depth
is better than more height, but going from a std
side by side to the counter depth one I didn't
notice any negatives.

Nope, they can't be taller,

Of course they can be taller and at least some of them
are. *I haven't looked at all of them, but I know that with
Kitchenaid they are taller and the volume is as reported
above, ie within a couple cft of the standard type.

The standard depth unit is small. *It's easy to make the CD style similar.

Oh BS. You know, you're amazing. Instead of just admitting
you're wrong and that you can get counterdepth units that are
within a couple cft of standard size ones, you choose instead
to just double down with BS. There is nothing unique about
those Kitchenaids. The standard one isn't "crippled" so it
can look good with the counterdepth one. How dumb are
you? Would you "cripple" the products that account for
90% of your sales so you could sell some more of the
counterdepth ones? Clearly if they are "crippled" then so
are the Electolux because they are the same capacity.

BS yourself. You're not making any sense.

and they would have to be at least half again as
tall, or they wouldn't fit the standard hole.
They're exactly the same height
and width but 2/3s the depth.

Kitchenaid and my experience putting one in say you are wrong.

Because they make a small standard unit and their CD is "normal" (for a
cabinet depth). *There just isn't as much space inside, when you lop off 8"
from the front. *Not possible.- Hide quoted text -

I just showed you that you don't even understand the
basic specs on Electrolux: 26 cft for a std, 23 cft for
a counterdepth. In other words, not a major difference
despite your desperate attempts to pull yourself out of
the ditch.

See above.

I have a counterdepth. I use one. I put one in. I know that it
fits basicly the same stuff that the old standard one it
replaced did. You obviously were too cheap to spend
the extra bucks so you have a fridge sticking out into your
kitchen. Enjoy it.

Then it *CAN'T* be taller for the same size. Good grief!