Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Default a problem with electric meters?

On Mon, 28 May 2012 14:47:56 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 May 2012 12:10:47 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

"George" wrote in message
On 5/27/2012 1:37 AM, NotMe wrote:

snip

Not if every home does the same thing. It can ammount to several large
power stations not needing to be built.
The REAL unspoken reason for smart meters is that they save manpower
costs (meter-reading costs) for electric utilities.

At the cost of significant investment in technology - so no, I have
to disagree that it is "the REAL" reason. Remote reading could be
added to a standard meter, or "customer read" with quarterly or
by-annual "agent read" to verify honesty can also be used - and have
been in several areas.

Cost of smart meters in this area are an add on, monthly, line item fee
the customer bill.

No additional charge here.

No real savings because the other meters (gas and water) are still read
manually.

Our gas supplier previously fitted remote readers on the registers of
inside meters. Then maybe 4 years ago they retrofitted all of them.
There
is no additional charge. The water utility put remote readers on meters
maybe 5 years ago. No additional charge for that either.

I also expect the fee to remain long after the cost of the meter is
recoverd.

dig deeper it's there but perhaps not as a line item.

Recall phone company charged and still do for touch tone service when it
was
actually cheaper for them to use touch tone than dial pulse.

In what universe do you live?

One where they paid me to track/follow various phone company tariffs and
assorted applications including the real world back story of the process.

Two decades ago, perhaps. I want to know which one you live in now.