Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water pipe replacement question

On Mon, 28 May 2012 14:22:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 07:27:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I must not be in the rest of the world. Because here in NJ the water
meters are almost all outside. Mine is buried 4 ft down at the curb.

My main shut-off is like that, but it is hard to read a meter 4' down
a hole.

Used to be, when I lived in Philly, all the meters were in the
basement. When I moved to CT, same thing. Now they have transponders
to the meter reader no longer has to look at the dials.

In VT, the meter was in the basement, with remote dials on the outside by the
driveway. It would be trivial to change that to an RF device.

Gas meters were in the same place in the basement where the gas line
came into the house.

Gas meter was at the opposite end of the house, outside.

In warm climates, it is common to have the meter outside in a shallow
box.

That's where the water meter is for this house (E. Alabama).