Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Water pipe replacement question

On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:03:08 -0700 (PDT), Ook
wrote:

I won't use PEX because AFAIK (some please correct me if I'm wrong)
the only way to make a connection is with a sharkbite, and those
should *never* be used where you can't get to them for maintenance
(like underground or behind walls). The seal is made with a rubber o-
ring, and the rubber o-ring will deteriorate with time and will
eventually leak. I already have a leak - I don't need plumbing that is
virtually guaranteed to eventually leak more. In about 20 years or so
all these new houses being build with pex and sharkbites are going to
leak like sieves.

Okay. PEX is a better choice. As to leaks. SB fittings are not used
in this case. The PEX is connected using expansion connections. There
would be one connection at the meter and one at the house.

My house is all PEX on a manifold.

(new build I've seen) PEX is used for water from the street, and used
in natural gas lines from the street to the gas meter. I've even seen
it in landscape irrigation (cover from UV) - all expanded
connections.

Heck you can even buy Therma PEX that is insulated for colder climates
used under ground.