Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Better ideas for fixing leak right at the pool pump inlet (no room!)

On May 27, 6:21*am, "
wrote:
On May 27, 1:30*am, "Arklin K." wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 21:52:41 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:
Dial back on the theory....no need to replace 90's with sweep 90's.
There is no way you need a fourth pump.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what a '90' is but the pool was built
in 2001 and it's complicated. Too complicated. It's certainly not KISS.

btw * 5' of head is about 2 psi..... not a lot pressure.

Interesting. If it were me, I would have put the pumps at the same level
as the pool deck.

Seriously, there should be no leaks.

Thanks. I didn't know what is considered 'normal'.

That may be his definition of normal, but I'd say
it's not typical and not my definition. * Lots of pools
have a small drip here and there. *For example, on
the multi-port selector valve on mine, right now
there is a slow drip. *Not worth screwing around with
something that leaks a pint a day, outside, where it's
not a problem.

Also, here we winterize so there are various plugs
that have to be removed and re-installed each season.
If one of them has a tiny drip, I'll tighten it, but if
that doesn't work, I'm not about to take out the plug
on the bottom of the filter again over a pint a day drip.

You can drive yourself nuts over trying to make
everything perfect. *Some people seem to think
you should tear the whole thing apart just because
it's not plumbed pretty and it's harder to repair.
I think they are seriously underestimating the
amount of work involved. * And for what? *It's
working, isn't it? *And you just replaced a valve.
If there comes a time when there is a major overhaul,
eg you're switching to a DE filter, then I'd consider
what can be changed at the same time to make
it a better design.

As far as using flex pipe instead of elbows for
efficiency, I wouldn't worry about it. *Rigid PVC is
cheap, sturdier, last longer etc. *And those
elbows don't amount to that much in the grand
scheme. *You just minimize their use where
possible, use 45's instead of 90's if u can, etc.

T4-

You're adding words to my posts........

The OP used the word "normal", I never did.
If I were to use the word "normal" I guess it would apply to the
"typical" pool installation in service.
Probably thrown together by someone of limited skill & knowledge and
most likely leaking a tolerable amount.
Representative of the poor workmanship that has become the norm is the
US.

I merely suggested that if he's doing a repair he should shoot for no
leaks.

Unfortunately the OP is working on a jacked up installation with what
appears to minimal plumbing experience.
The idea of attempting to seal a leak by drawing PVC solvent into the
leak is pretty amateurish.
That's not how PVC solvent cement is meant to work. But "hey,
whatever works".

The installation he's dealing with is such a mess I suppose nothing
really matters expect reducing the leak to an acceptable level.
The overall, redesign, rebuild can wait for another day.

However, he did mention adding a 4th pump..........

With the pump below the pool water line leaks will drain the pool.
With the pump above the pool water line, the pump prime might be lost.

Pools lose a lot water due to evap so a small leak probably won't use
a great deal of additional water.

cheers
Bob