Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Is there a better way (than this) to clean this pleated poolfilter?

On 5/24/2012 12:21 PM, Arklin K. wrote:
There must be a better way to wash a pool cartridge filter!

Here's a picture of the cartridge taken apart.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8328446.jpg

I presume the water flow is up the two holes into the INSIDE of the two
pleated filter cartridges ... but WHAT is that thing sticking up in the
middle doing?

Here is a picture of me trying to wash the larger pleated filter with a
garden hose:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8328448.jpg

And here I am doing the same to the smaller cloth filter:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8328451.jpg

Unfortunately, even after two hours of that, the green slimy sticky gunk
is still on hundreds of the thousands of pleats:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8328449.jpg

I tried brushing them off:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8328452.jpg

But I concluded I must be doing something wrong.

Q: What is the best way to clean a pleated pool filter?

PS: I'm doing it right now ... so any and all advice is welcome!

I have a Pentair quad filter. I put the four filters onto the jig I
built http://i26.tinypic.com/117cm80.jpg and use a hose. No pressure
washer since the paper is not that strong, I just use a hose nozzle set
to the strongest setting.

I try to not let my filters get green, but you're right, it's tough to
get everything out without manually spreading the pleats. But you can
get it good enough for government work. It takes me about ten minutes
per filter.

Unless the filters get clogged with algae or with the stuff that results
from the phosphate treatment, my filter pressure is right around 0 PSI
on the gauge.

At one time I had a round trash can large enough to soak one filter at a
time in filter cleaning solution, whatever that really is.

I know that on my pool cleaner's cloth bag they say to wash it in the
washing machine using Oxyclean, so I might try Oxyclean on my filters
someday.