Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Water pipe replacement question

On May 27, 10:34*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Pex is joined with barb fittings, and round rings that crimp tight. There is
a crimping tool that's sold or rented.
* * *http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-23468-2...m/B0026RHAWQ/2

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Ook" wrote in message news:5ed79f76-3aab-4136-ba55-

yours is a excellent reason to use PEX, its cheap, lats near forever,
isnt valuable as scrap, so theres zero reason for it to ever be
stolen

I won't use PEX because AFAIK (some please correct me if I'm wrong)
the only way to make a connection is with a sharkbite, and those
should *never* be used where you can't get to them for maintenance
(like underground or behind walls). The seal is made with a rubber o-
ring, and the rubber o-ring will deteriorate with time and will
eventually leak. I already have a leak - I don't need plumbing that is
virtually guaranteed to eventually leak more. In about 20 years or so
all these new houses being build with pex and sharkbites are going to
leak like sieves.

Rather than saying that "pex *is* joined with barb fittings and round
rings" you should say that "pex *can* be joined with barb fittings and
round rings".

Pex can also be joined with Sharkbites.