Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Better ideas for fixing leak right at the pool pump inlet (no room!)

On Sun, 27 May 2012 05:13:47 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

On Sat, 26 May 2012 21:54:47 -0700, Oren wrote:

What possible use would the ball valve be?

It turns off the water or turns it on - flow direction....

Except that the ball valve is the end of the line, i.e., it's a faucet.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8345090.jpg

If I turn the ball valve on, water spews onto the ground just like a
faucet would.

The only thing I can think of is that the ball valve faucet is there to
either allow us to drain something or to back-wash something.

If it's a drain faucet, it makes little sense to me because the filter
has its own drain plug.

If it's for backwash (e.g., you hook a garden hose to it somehow), it
also makes little sense because the open end is not threaded and the
pleated filter isn't the type that gets backwashed anyway.

So, having a 'faucet' attached to my filter pump (in the form of a ball
valve) still makes no sense to me. Certainly I've never used it for
anything.

I have no clue for the ball valve, except that it 'might' be a
positive drain. Irrigation and solar panels have a "positive drain
valve" (some). When water pressure stops, the valve opens and allows
pipes to drain. No need for winterizing the unit. Pipes won't freeze.

I'm guessing here...