Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Robin Robin is offline

Default VAT payment deadlines & small traders. A warning. (Long)

It certainly used to be the case that if you paid by direct debit and
filed online you got 7 days grace but it is now compulsory to file
online for all but the smallest companies so they might be looking to
remove that benefit of online filing.

They might also be looking to castrate/inflict FGM on anyone who pays
late but I don't think they are*. See the calculator to which I posted
a link or the guidance at
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/.../deadlines.htm

It appears the o/p is paying by funds transfer rather than DD so that
may make a difference.

I was unclear by what means the OP was paying. If
"Banco Franco Billpay" was a reference to the Billpay
facility operated (now) by Santander then tweet, tweet. Billpay is not
and never was the swiftest (sic) method. Billpay requires payment by 31
May to get cleared funds to HMRC bvy 7 June. (I think this is affected
by the double holiday weekend. Eg Billpay on 3 July will get funds to
HMRC by 6 July.)

FWIW I also seem to recall that a lot of businesses receiving payments
also used to get a bit upset if their customers used delaying
tactics. And I well recall a big oil company which, many years ago,
pointed out how much they could have saved if they had paid their tax
due by (say) 31 May by posting a cheque using second class post in
Lerwick after the last collection of 31 May. I don't see that as fair.
But then, like Zaphod Beeblebrox, I'm just zis guy, you know.

*what some HMRC officials wish for in the privacy of their heads is of
course unknowable )
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid