Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Kitchen Sink Clogging - Garbage Disposal

On 5/27/2012 6:19 AM, Ian wrote:
My kitchen sink has a 15 year old Kitchenaid garbage disposal unit. Recently the drain pipe below has been plugging with ground vegetable matter almost daily. The sinks drain into 2" (od) PVC, which in turn drain into a 2-1/4" cast iron pipe. The clog seems to be in the same place in the iron pipe, although there is not seam, joint or bend that would make this a suspicious location.

Could my problem be the disposal unit, i.e. it's getting old and doesn't properly shred the material, leading to the clogs?

Why the clog happens at the same location in a straight section of pipe s]is beyond me.

Right now my plan is to cut out the iron pipe and replace it with PVC in the hopes that there is something inside the pipe causing the clogs.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian

Don't put uncooked vegetable matter down the disposal. How is the drain
vent?