Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Paint black side gate

On 5/27/2012 2:14 AM, wrote:
Not sure what the white stuff is..

Oxidized paint or lime deposit from sprinkler? Oxidized paint might
come off with rubbing compound. Does the haze lie on area with most sun
exposure? I don't see rust; if there is rust, rub/sand it out, used
rusty metal primer and repaint. You can rough the rest of the surface
(to repaint), use a brush and Rustoleum enamel. Should last a good while.

My neighbor have the same type and color side gate, and he recently
had a contractor come to reprint it. Looks very nice. Looks like just
gloss paint or something.

On May 26, 4:51 pm, wrote:
On May 26, 7:06 pm, wrote:

My black side iron gate looks rather worn. How do I repaint the gate?
Is it paint or is it some form of black oil stain that is on it? See
pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/7262596138/.

Should I use brush or rollers?

Thanks for any tips!

You will not be able to duplicate that finish, it looks like
a powder coated factory applied enamel finish...

You have some rust to deal with which you should remove
and spot prime before painting...

What is that white residue all over the latch side of the gate?

Is there something above which is draining/running off onto
the gate ?