Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT - Blue Rhino proprietary valve

On Sat, 26 May 2012 22:19:07 -0400, wrote:

They still CAN put 20 lbs into the tank - they choose not to.

Not in the US. Max allowed is 4.1 gallons of propane that weighs 4.2#
per gallon. Max ix 17.22 lbs.

Maybe they CAN fit that much, but the OPD valve will close and make it
a real PITA to use that tank. When the new tanks started going into
service, many were overfilled and customers complained that the tanks
did not work when hooked to the appliance. You had to be very careful
to slowly open the valve.

You will also find the tank stamped with WC for water capacity. That
translates to how much propane will fit.

I take my tanks to BJ's and they charge by the gallon. If they do
come up short, I'm not paying a penalty for it.