Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Table saw accident

dpb wrote:
On 5/26/2012 8:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

So here's what I do.

I have never had a problem, the dowel pin I put in the back is enough to
hold it, but I put a board over it off to the side of the blade clamped
down so I can see it poke through. I usualy will use the sacrificial
fence as that board.

I find it safer than trying to hold the plate on top of the existing
plate. That just scares me.

This isn't rocket science here, folks!

Yes, doing it right is easy. The problem is that doing it wrong is
just as easy! I would do as you suggested below.

I would NOT have expected that holding the insert down with a push stick
could lead to such dire consequences as occurred here.

Just put the fence over the side of the plate clear of the blade by a
safe margin so you don't hit it, stick a shim under it to keep the plate
from climbing and raise away.