Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a problem with electric meters?

On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:21:25 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Smart meters have nothing to do with selectively shedding loads.
You need equipment in each of those branch circuits to do that.
They can do metering by time of day.

I also doubt they allow the PoCo to shut off the power remotely. That
would require a pair of triacs inside the meter that could handle
200a. The I2R losses of those triacs would melt the meter base.

Oh, they can do it.

Sure, but a triac has about a 1.4V "ON" voltage, probably higher at these
currents. At 200A, that's 280W. Number one, that's wasted power, and two,
it's a *lot* of heat to get out of the meter. Can, but does?