Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Table saw accident

On 5/26/2012 11:52 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2012 08:43:30 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Only thing worse I can think of is using one of the folding $20 aluminum
tapering jigs. (I can't imagine why that thing has not been the subject
of a product liability lawsuit, and outlawed in Kooky Kalifornio).

Since I've never seen a folding one, I'll guess you meant the two
straight sticks with a hinge at the top and a stop at the bottom of one
stick. Either way, I agree with you. I made one of those, used it once,
and threw it away. Perhaps a new daffynition:

Tapering jig - a device to make the most dangerous power tool even more
dangerous!

Yep, that's it. One of the problems is you can't just cheat death with
it once, you usually have to do it TWICE for each of four table legs.

When using one, by the end of the second leg I had to take a break and
mentally steel myself for the last two. By the end of the fourth leg I
was always a wincing bundle of nerves.

IIRC, I barely managed to go through that twice before I built this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...17667358454546

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010