Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Is It Time To Loosen Up Gun Laws So Voters Can Exercise TheirRights In November?

On 5/26/2012 9:48 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2012 07:13:44 -0700, whoyakidding
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 22:35:09 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:16:41 -0700, whoyakidding
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:26:25 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

As for those who are intelligent but who draw irrational conclusions

That's a contradiction.

No it's not. Someone can have a high IQ but use it poorly. Just
because a person has it doesn't mean they use it.

I understand your point. But try extending it to it logical
conclusion. Most everyone has SOME intelligence. Even a documented
lifetime loser surely makes some quick and correct decisions. But if
you don't draw the line somewhere then there's no such thing as a
stupid person. All we'd have is a world of intelligent people a
certain percentage of whom make mostly stupid decisions. I call that
segment stupid per the definition "1. Slow to learn or understand;
obtuse." You prefer to sugarcoat the situation and pretend that unless
they're 'slow to understand;obtuse' ALL the time then they shouldn't
be categorized as stupid. If you don't agree with my summary then how
about you name some people you DO consider stupid.

g Ok, I won't argue your point. I think of intelligence in terms of
"general intelligence" as measured by, for example, IQ. It's a narrow
defintion, but at least it has a metric that can be applied.

A Psych professor of mine once defined high intelligence as "the ability
to score well in intelligence testing."

Her specialty was in intelligence testing. :^)

David