Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brown versus White Roof?

On May 25, 11:46*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
I'm getting a new roof on my house. I'm considering changing to brown
shingles (Owens Corning Desert Tan) from white shingles.

If anyone here has any experience about increased air conditioning costs
after going to a darker roof, I would like know how much your bill went up
(or didn't).

Particulars would be most helpful, such as climate, and how well the attic
was insulated.

My own particulars: Louisville KY, ranch house, low pitched hip roof,
poorly insulated attic. Air conditioner ducts do not pass through attic.
House gets a fair amount of shade from trees located on East, South, and
West sides. But they are Maples, and I don't want to assume they will last
the next 30 years.

--
Tony Sivori

I would go for a light tan or grey color, depending on house color