Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MrFightGuy MrFightGuy is offline

Default Bending 1/8 inch thick 7075-T6 aluminum

On May 25, 3:57*pm, David Billington
On May 24, 7:41 pm, MrFightGuy wrote:

* I believe HF sells a roller setup that will do what you want for a
reasonable price .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Thanks, yeah, but I'm trying to keep this purchase under $300. *The HF
bress brake/slip rollers are way out of my range, and their 12" slip
roller is way too small for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I think Snag is suggesting the English wheel sold by HF. *An English
wheel is what I would try to produce a domed shield. *Maybe someone
here that has an English wheel will step up and relate their
experiences. *Or maybe someone would be willing to let you ship them
some aluminum to see how well their English wheel works.

Dan

I would expect the HF one to bit a bit lightweight for doing 1/8"
aluminium even in a soft condition. I have a much heavier wheeling
machine and that did dish some 5mm 1050 but it was hard work and the
piece required quite a dish so in the end I just resorted to using a
domed former to push the aluminium into a piece of pipe with a piece of
5mm UHMWPE between the pipe and aluminium to spread the load and prevent
marring of the surface. This was done in a fly press so blows could be
done quickly and controlled and allowed the dished pieces to done quite
fast. Once I got it set-up and done a practice piece I could do a 250mm
blank to a 250mm radius in about 5 minutes with repeated blow going
around the piece. Not a job I would want to do with a hydraulic press
due to their speed.

Okay...keep in mind for the rounds, all I need is a 2-inch deep dish
on a 21 - 24 inch piece. HF has a pneumatic planishing hammer that
sells for just over 100 bucks and gets good reviews from customers,
but I don't know if it'll even put a dent in 1/8 inch thick 7075.