Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar Panels ?

harry wrote:
We are too far north for solar to be anything other than a novelty toy
and tax dodge due to incompetent government market distorting FITs.

Well you got that bit right. Its all about Germany creating solar panel
jobs. That's all going tits up now anyway as they solar companies are
going bust and being undercut by cheap Chinese imports.

I bet you see accusations of dumping and an EU trade barrier erected
shortly. Or a scrapping of renewables in Germany.

Mind you the new Germann minister of power is a big fat balding ex lawyer.

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/up...ages/Merkel_Ga...

So we are bound to get really clueful policy right?

and how hard it is to achieve it.- Hide quoted text -

So tell us how much energy a PV panel produces in winter o great
oracle.

I will, when you tell me how long a piece of string is.

however for those more intelligent than you, the following link may be
of interest:

http://www.contemporaryenergy.co.uk/solarmap.htm

which shows that summer power production averages out at ten times (Jun)
what winter does (Dec).

Average power per unit area is around 900kwh per year per sq meter,.
which at an efficiency of about 30% means you will get 300 units of
electricity per year per square meter of panel more or less.

At a market price of about 10p per unit retail, that's an income of £30
a year. Per square meter.

Of course with a 40p subsidy like spiv* harry has, that's about £150 a
year per square meter.

Compared with actual wholesale power like gas coal or nuclear of around
6p a unit, you can see its pathetic. £18 a year fuel saved, if that.

*Solar Panel Installation Vendor.

and how hard it is to achieve it.