Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI Outlets Question

On May 21, 12:05*am, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
They should not have to be replaced. *With a motor load like
the garage door sometimes they can falsely trip. *That's why
they are not recommended for refrigerators. *So, the garage
one may be OK.

The reason you do not use a GFCI with a refrigerator, is that they do
occasionally falsely trip. *Your food will spoil if you do not notice it
right away.

I have a generator with a standard GFCI outlet. *Vibration sometimes
causes it to trip, even with nothing plugged into it. *I replaced the
outlet thinking it might be defective, but the replacement also trips!
Fortunately there is a 30 Amp twist-lock outlet that does not go through
the GFCI, so I can use it with my refrigerator during a lengthy power
outage.

Fred

If I had a generator that had a GFCI that tripped due to vibration, I
would isolate the GFCI from the vibration.

If mounting the GFCI itself in such a manner as to isolate it was not
feasible, I'd replace it with a standard outlet and build a short
extension cord with a GFCI receptacle attached.

To be safe, I'd secure the GFCI extension cord to the generator in a
manner that prevented easy removal.